[CQ-Contest] TenTec Orion questions regarding SO2R suitability

Subject: [CQ-Contest] TenTec Orion questions regarding SO2R suitability
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L Martin)
Date: Thu May 8 23:37:09 2003

>    The first time I did this was with W6OAT on Clipperton.  I was
> the transmitting operator, and Rusty would mumble calls to me
> verbally to feed into the queue.  We were surprised at how often
> we would pick different calls out of a large CW pileup.  Since I
> had my hand on the key, I got to send my pick of the pileup
> first... sometimes prompting Rusty to say "I never even heard that guy
> calling..."
>
>    It's very educational to listen in with a good op on a pileup.
>  One learns lots of new operating techniques.
>
> 73,
>    -- Eric K3NA

Wasn't that fun?

My first time doing that was while sitting next to Dave/K5GN as he worked
the pileup on 20m during a contest at NR5M many years ago.

We had the headphones tee-d together and I would write down the call I
copied.  He either answered someone he copied or took mine.

Interestingly, while John/K6AM and I frequently picked the same calls at
ZF1A, Dave and I more often than not picked different calls.   Maybe our
ears were the factor: John and I are closer in age, while Dave is much
younger than me.
:-)

73,
dale, kg5u