[CQ-Contest] Orion

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Orion
From: jukka.klemola@nokia.com (jukka.klemola@nokia.com)
Date: Mon May 12 12:06:38 2003
Pretty technical explanation.
I try to intrprete.
Tom/Will please correct me if I get this wrong:

The core of this is all receivers today have a wide
(> 10 kHz bandwidth) first intermediate frequency filter.
And that largely ruins the receiver no matter
how good the second or third intermediate frequency
stages are.

The current second and third intermediate frequency
filters can have better ability to filter than the
current DSPs we see in Amateur radio receivers for the
second or third IF.

The pricing estimate for a good-enough DSP unit has
maybe fallen to a half of Tom's year 2001 estimate.
And in two-three years is again a half of the current
price.

This is what we now wait for:
When comes the time we can have a DSP or two DSPs in
a box without 500Hz-3kHz analog filters limiting the
performance of the receiver or two receivers and the
transmitter in the same box.
And taking into account the box must be below 4000 USD
for the consumer equivalent to year 2003 USD pricing.

Until then:
We are waiting for the first company to offer us a
decent upgrade how to filter the first intermediate
frequency stage better than the curreny factory version
radios that all use wide, poor shape factor filters.

We already have been:
Waiting to see factory version radios using good
filters at the first IF.
Now with Orion we see it means having lower frequency
for the first IF.

My addition to this:
We must remember why the first IF was set well above
30MHz and hope the manufacturers take measures to
overcome those effects already in the factory versions
of the radios.
And like VR2BrettGraham pointed out, the radios must
be such we can operate with a linear (= some RF) in
the schack.

73,
Jukka, OH6LI (in contests OH4A or OH0V)