AW: [CQ-Contest] self spotting vs other cheating

Subject: AW: [CQ-Contest] self spotting vs other cheating
From: gissel@fh-ludwigshafen.de (Prof. Dr. Andreas Gissel)
Date: Wed May 28 14:33:43 2003
Hi all,

I believe the original question posted to the list rather focuses on the
possible advantage than on the moral dimension of self spotting.
OK, I'll admit that my call is neither rare nor is my signal real loud
(anywhere, hi), so from the limited experience I have with being spotted I
can only assume that YES, it is an advantage. Looking at my log for the ARRL
DX I can definetely tell you when I was spotted by a kind soul because of
the boost it would always give to my rate. Mostly of short duration, but
hey, I don't see my rate meter above 120 that often.
Checking the web-cluster today I found I was not spotted at all during the
most recent WPX, so guess what ... it didn't do my rate any good!

Well, I don't use packet during contests and for sure I don't advocate self
spotting, but I do believe that being spotted is an advantage for a little
pistol.

Vy 73 de Andy, DL3YBM

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----