[CQ-Contest] Etymotic versus Bose Headphones

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Etymotic versus Bose Headphones
From: btippett@alum.mit.edu (Bill Tippett)
Date: Tue Aug 5 10:56:06 2003
        Has anyone compared the Etymotic ER-4
or ER-6 to Bose QuietComfort headphones?  The
ER-4 claims 20-25 dB isolation and ER-6 15-20 dB
versus ~10 dB for the Bose (if my memory is correct).
http://www.etymotic.com/

        How about the comfort factor of using in-ear
earphones versus the Bose headphones for extended
periods of time?

        Bose QC can be had for ~$150 used on eBay
(probably because they dropped the list price to $249
when the QC2 was introduced).  I've seen the Etymotic
ER-6 for $115 new and the ER-4 for $220 new.  Seems
like the ER-6 is the better value with similar audio
response curves at frequencies <3 kHz, and only
slightly less isolation (~5 dB).

        Just curious if anyone has actually used either
Etymotic for extended periods of time and what you
think of them?

                        73,  Bill  W4ZV