[CQ-Contest] unique contacts and logging errors

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] unique contacts and logging errors
From: mike l dormann <w7dra@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 05:05:45 -0700
1) unique contacts
i find throwing out unique contacts not a good thing, I'm sure all of us
hard core contest types have done an Oceania dx contest as 3D2/W7DRA or
some other dx venture and found guys coming out of the woodwork to
contact us

maybe we need to commit to particular contest with a email statement to
the contest director saying "yes W6XXX plans to work your contest, so
count no matter how many of his contacts are shown in the contestants
logs" and therefore unique contacts do not subtract from the score.

talk about a can of worms

i bet about in about 1/2 the contests that i participate in, i get  no
contacts at all because i was not able to contact a single station

logging errors
to me contests are kind of like American voting, you check to see if
there is any obvious cheating, showing that the contestant's log probably
has an error rate of less than 5%, and go on to the next contestant's
log.

we have a new contest when accuracy becomes king, it is almost like a
change in the unwritten rules

last CQWW my score was cut in half by errors in my log, makes me less
excited to work a guy that comes out of the mud for about 30 seconds,
grab him to never hear him again, "was that a U or V?" i made 4 logging
errors to cause this score reduction (SOSB80LP from pac nw)

one obvious solution" eliminate ALL computers from EVERY facet of ham
contesting, for that matter eliminate all transieve functions and require
manual VFOs, do not allow pencils, only ball paint pens for logging, and
all logs to be in Latin.

mike,  soon to be SOSB160LP in the CQWW and if you try to work me be sure
to be LOUD and send SLOWLY