Re: [CQ-Contest] unique contacts and logging errors

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] unique contacts and logging errors
From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 09:21:17 -0500 (CDT)
On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 KH6DV@cs.com wrote:

> There has been a lot of interesting posts related to this thread. The last
> one by Doug KR2Q got my attention.  Doug said something I just have to agree
> with, if you cant prove that the contact did not take place it should not be
> removed from the log.
> The reason I agree with this is simply because I think unique contacts happen
> more often then Doug does.  Doug states earlier in his posting that uniques
> are actually rare. He goes on to allow for the fact that this may not be true
> in the case of a rare dx station. We all know how a rare location can pump up
> contest log with 1000's
> of non contest entrant pursuers.  As a non rare (and almost a non dx) Dx
> station I have to disagree with Doug on this one. There are exceptions to
> Doug's
> rule other than for rare dx.  The 10 meter band comes to mind as one.

Last year I started into a contest (I forget which one now) and just
couldn't get into it.  Conditions weren't good.  I worked two stations and
gave up.

If one of them doesn't send in a log, the other gets a unique.  If one
busts my call, we have two uniques (possibly).

There have been other contests where I worked only two or three stations.
I'm sure others have done this also.

73, Zack W9SZ