[CQ-Contest] unique contacts

To: CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] unique contacts
From: Merrimon Crawford Pladsen <ab0mv@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 17:00:29 -0400
I have sometimes felt tempted to make one call and only one call in contests that penalize for unique calls.....and making that one call to one of the contest managers of those contests that penalize for uniques......very tempting!

Any contester who participates in non-contest activities might get a unique from friends in those other activities. In addition, there are some operators, QRP and big guns, who have exceptional ears, even in SSB. When I operated from my lousy former NC lousy station, I was just amazed to see who could hear me and who couldn't....sometimes they were people who were as weak as water had better ears than those with the mammoth stations.

I think working from poor stations has helped me to hear better than if I had only operated at big stations.....at the very least, the experience of making myself heard when I have a pathetic signal has helped me to be able to guide those weak stations answering my CQ so that I can hear them when people listening to me in the room are amazed I actually worked them.

73
Merri AB0MV