[CQ-Contest] W2SC's ARRL DX LCR feedback

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] W2SC's ARRL DX LCR feedback
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 13:45:54 -0500
> I just took a look at the LCR report for my 8P1A operation and I excerpted a
> few of the lines below
>
> VY2MGY/3 is a DX callsign - being set as a dupe -  40M Line # 2456
> KL7FDQ/7 is a DX callsign - being set as a dupe -  10M Line # 3928
> KH6DX is a DX callsign - being set as a dupe -  80M Line # 6879
> NH2K is a DX callsign - being set as a dupe -  10M Line # 7475
> WL7LZ is a DX callsign - being set as a dupe -  10M Line # 8372
> WH6FZ/3 is a DX callsign - being set as a dupe -  15M Line # 8550
> KL7HLF is a DX callsign - being set as a dupe -  15M Line # 8906
>
> In each of these cases, the stations were located in continental US or
> Canada.  However, I logged them as above and they were eliminated from my
> log as DX contacts.  Obviously, I should have added the appropriate portable
> designator and I would have been fine even though that is not what was sent.
> My question is whether it is legal to sign, for example, NH2K when located
> in the US.  (I should add that I am just using NH2K as an example and it is
> possible that he sent the portable designator and I did not log it.
> Nonetheless, I am sure that some of the above calls were logged as sent)

It would seem to me that adding enough information to make it clear where your
QTH is couldn't possibly be illegal - and in fact would be a good thing for
the contest in general.  Yes, the FCC does allow these calls to be assigned
to the USA... but the contest checking software doesn't have a callbook in
it.

> Also in the report were the following
>
> K2GI is a DX callsign - being set as a dupe -  10M Line # 7423
> K2GDD is a DX callsign - being set as a dupe -  15M Line # 9084
>
> I think this is an artifact of K2G being in the country file as a DX station

Yup - that is what happened here.  This is a limitation of the CTY.DAT file
format - which has been in use for about 15 years.  It just goes to show
that getting cute 3 letter calls that make it very obscure where you located
don't work well in a contest.

> I am not lobbying to have my score changed as all logs were checked the same
> and these few QSO's would not change an outcome.  I am merely trying to
> understand what is legal for both the sender and receiver.

Thanks for that!!

> Another comment of note in the file,
>
> You had 86 QSOs with a time difference > 5 minutes  2.6%
>
> I logged with a computer and set the time using WWV just before the start so
> I suspect my time is accurate.  I am sure this is more relevant for contests
> with off time but I was surprised how high the number was.  Roughly 1 in 40
> of the cross-referenced QSO's were off by 5 minutes.

The 2.6% total is on par with the average number.  We put that in because some
of the categories where stations can benefit by doing some rubber clocking were
being abused.  We would see numbers here over 20 percent for those who were
cheating.

Tree