Re: [CQ-Contest] LoTW and security

To: "K4SB" <k4sb@earthlink.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] LoTW and security
From: "N7MAL" <N7MAL@CITLINK.NET>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 19:09:17 -0000
I am/was a big supporter of  LOTW. I participated in the beta test and
applied for a certificate the very first day. I have yet to receive the
certicificate. My ''''official''''' address is a post office box, which we
pick up mail from once a month, usually the 3rd. I do, however, receive and
have received my QST's at my house address for the last 10 years I've lived
at this house. It is easier to get a credit card on-line than the
certificate.
Over the years the number of 'bozos' who had tried to deliberately cheat at
DXCC has been infinitesimally small compared to the number of participants,
far less than 1%. With the added burden of this moronic security what is the
incentive for our friends who don't live in the US to participate in
LOTW..??..
With all due respect to WN3VAW and N0AX we, the participants, have every
right to complain/gripe when we are charged to help fund a system which, in
its present form, under its present leadership,  has been doomed to fail.
The beta test had very little participation from the international community
and now unless they jump through unreasonable hoops the international
community has no incentive to participate now.
I think what's needed here is a little less 'homeland security' mentality
and a lot more common sense mentality and maybe LOTW can be a success.

MAL                N7MAL
BULLHEAD CITY, AZ
www.citlink.net/~suzyq/N7mal.htm
www.geocities.com/n7mal