Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Spam

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Spam
From: "G. La Parola, IT9BLB" <it9blb@infcom.it>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 17:27:45 +0200
"Kenneth E. Harker" wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 08:33:14AM -0400:
> > At 08:04 AM 10/14/03 -0500, you wrote:
> >
> > >     So, I received the following spam from AH2R.  It was unsolicited
> > >     email -
> > >although I have worked them in contests, I doubt that my own callsign has
> > >ever even shown up in their logs, and I certainly never asked to be on any
> > >sort of announcement list.
> > >
> > >     I would like to think that contesters would be above this sort of
> > >pre-contest QSO solicitation through bulk (SPAM) email.
> >
> > I don't know ... it seems to me as if this is pretty harmless.  We allow,
> > even encourage the maintenance of lists of planned contest DXpeditions, so
> > why not allow this sort of message posted to one reflector?  After all,
> > most reflector mail is "unsolicited," so we decide what we'd like to read
> > and what not to read.
>
> Yeah -
>
> So who cares if a station makes one or two well-disguised self-spots?
> That's pretty harmless, right?
>
> Who cares if they spend a few days before the contest on the internet
> and making long-distance phone calls to secure skeds with a few rare
> mults that their competition won't work?
>
> Who cares if they try to convince all their contest club buddies to
> work them (because they're trying to win their continent or set a record
> or make history or something) and these good buddies don't also work their
> competition?
>
> Who cares if they spam a few thousand hams looking for that extra QSO
> or two?
>
> Doesn't it all add up?  Is any of it really _contesting_?  What makes
> pre-contest spamming any more ethically or socially acceptable than
> these other unethical score-booster activities?

Hi Kenneth,
I find all your Taliban's "Who cares ...." absolutely far from what really
the poor NH2C did and/or liked to do with his "nasty spam" about AH2R.
I think that you are bringing NH2C's intentions to trial, giving a lot of
unwanted and instrument values to something more easy, simple and harmless.

Please Aki(NH2C), add my address to your mailing list: I love every sort of
informations, I consider my brain still good enough to discriminate them
without any extreme philosopher's help.
I'd like to find arguments just about my hobby in a contest's mailing list,
not unsolicited lessons about ethics and morality: this is SPAMMING to me!

Joe, IT9BLB/KF6FBC/9H3DC/IH9P
http://www.ih9p.com/

 TIKIRRIKI CONTEST CLUB
 *** No moscato passito wine?