Re: [CQ-Contest] Oh well, there's always next year...

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Oh well, there's always next year...
From: Doug Smith W9WI <w9wi@earthlink.net>
Date: 15 Dec 2003 07:42:58 -0600
On Sun, 2003-12-14 at 16:47, Ron Notarius WN3VAW wrote:
> Was it my imagination, or were conditions downright terrible today (Sunday)
> in the contest?  If 10 was open to EU for more than about an hour or so
> today, I'd be downright surprised...  Wish now my boss had given me
> yesterday instead of today off, sounded (from what I overheard this
> afternoon) that condx were much better on Saturday.  Of course, having a
> snowstorm dumping 7" all morning around here didn't help!

They were pretty lousy both days here but IMHO they were better Sunday.
We had a pretty impressive short-skip opening to the East Coast most of
Sunday morning, sure racked up the QSOs.

European conditions sure weren't what they were last year, or even for
CQ WW.  Still, the band was open to Spain and Portugal for much of the
day both days, and over the pole into Scandanavia and western Russia
around 2000z both days.  Not many QSOs, but some (plus some good mults),
and they're all much appreciated!  We did have a brief general west EU
opening around 1430z Sunday.

Luckily, the predicted snowfall here didn't happen.  Did lose about an
hour of the Sunday night short-skip opening due to excessive rain
static.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66