Re: [CQ-Contest] 10M NAQP Weirdness

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 10M NAQP Weirdness
From: "Bob Naumann - N5NJ" <n5nj@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 07:16:07 -0600
Tom,

I've heard this type of phenomena a couple of times from N2RM on 15m.

I don't know what caused the "reflection" of my signal back, but the time I
heard it the most at N2RM - was maybe 10 years ago or so.  It was so clear, I
also thought it was someone playing my CQ message back to me.  Then I started
saying different things, stopping short, and all of those sounds came back very
clearly too.  I had others in the shack listen to it to confirm what I was
hearing.

It was an emotional experience to hear this unusual phenomena.

As I recall, this occured when the conditions were very, very good.  It also
was late in the afternoon, when Europe was in darkness, and fairly regularly,
we would continue to work Europeans nonetheless with N2RM's 4x4x4x4 array from
his excellent location.

I attributed it to having low noise, lots of gain in the antenna system, and
that without those benefits, I speculated we probably would not have heard it.

Certainly curious for sure.

73,
Bob N5NJ