RE: [CQ-Contest] Feb 04 QST op-ed article

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] Feb 04 QST op-ed article
From: "Mike Gilmer" <n2mg@eham.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 13:57:39 -0500
I'm not sure what the "standard responses" are; certainly there are
"standard" complaints to which, eventually, will come standard responses.
Contest-free zones certainly qualify as a "standard" desire by
non-contesters.

I generally view attempts to reduce the bandwidth available to contesters as
insulting.  I understand the desire - who wouldn't want more room for the
favorite activity, whatever it is?  However, they suggest that the several
dozen (potential) QSOs occurring at a given time on a given band by
non-contest operators (nets, rag chews, etc.) are somehow more valuable than
(and should therefore be given special status over) the (potential) hundreds
of (albeit short) QSOs that contesters are trying to make.

If there are 50 casual operators and 250 contesters vying for the same
200kHz, why should contesters be expected to willingly "give up" half the
available space?

In addition, there are only a few weekends a year in which contesters are
(or come close to)  filling up the phone bands so the non-contesters have
most weekends to themselves.

With all that said, the contentious nature of the phone bands (both during
and outside of contests) causes many (not just contesters) to operate there
only casually, or avoid them totally.  No wonder!

Mike N2MG