Re: [CQ-Contest] Feb 04 QST op-ed article

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Feb 04 QST op-ed article
From: "Bob Naumann - N5NJ" <n5nj@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 09:45:25 -0600
I cannot believe that we are giving this idea any thought of being the way to
go for *any* contests.

I am tired of hearing this sort of thing from non-contesters all the time, and
I'm increasingly dissappointed in how our "leaders" seem to give this type of
thinking any validity whatsoever.

The fact is that lots of people operate contests.  The spectrum is a shared
resource - globally!

There are what - maybe 6 weekends a year where phone contests use up most of
the phone bands?  I'm thinking CQWW, ARRL, WPX, SS, + one or two others -
maybe.  Well, you don't need a calculator to see that most of the year, i.e.
about 46 weeks don't have major SSB contests.  Seems pretty fair to
non-contesters from my perspective.

Some of the opponents want to be able to use "their" frequency, every day, year
round, without QRM.  Well, what's wrong with telling them to get real?  Their
expectation is completely unrealistic.

First of all, they do not recognize the shared nature of the spectrum.  That
means they do not have exclusive rights to any of it, at any time.  Why is this
fundamental concept so difficult for them to recognize?

I have no problem with people who don't want to contest.  Fine.  They have
about 350+ days a year to do whatever they want without a major SSB contest
messing it up.

Where's the beef?

Signed,

Disgusted and ready to throw in the towel on ham radio if this keeps up.

N5NJ