Re: [CQ-Contest] Re: contest expedition crates

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Re: contest expedition crates
From: Jan Erik Holm <sm2ekm@telia.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 18:57:55 +0100
Funny, same thing with me when I flew to CT3 last year for
the WW CW.
The security check at Stockholm airport sure was woundering
about my Bencher I had in the carry on bag, did explain
to him what it was but he still looked like a big questionmark.
Bencher paddles sure are strange things!!! Well, he did
let me pass but I sure got a strange look.

73 Jim SM2EKM

KM9M-ZIG@comcast.net wrote:

I flew A/A in Oct 2003 to Antigua. The only problem I had at EVERY security check point from Chicago on was with my Bencher Paddles in my carry-on. They brought much scrutiny. So much on the return flight customs stop in San Juan, they were photographed, swapped and checked for explosives, plus I was given a very thorough search... shoes off, wand, etc. That was security. The custom folks on V2 were real interested in the paddles too.

Moral of the story: If at all possible, check the HAM gear! And keep in the weight/dimensions/ # of pcs and you'll do just fine. I'm going back twice via this March.

Good luck and 73,
Zig KM9M (V26CW)

I can't get a real straight answer out of Customs, the TSA or the

airline.

What have been your experiences lately flying American Airlines to the
Caribbean?

Mark,

As you know, TSA reserves the right to inspect any checked bag.  If it's
locked and they don't have a master key etc, they will break the lock and/or
bag.  It might be a bit much to ask TSA to carefully unpack your equipment.
Though they might call you in the back room if there are problems... even
before 9/11, I once got stopped when they couldnt figure out what all the
aluminum tubes were for.  Maybe they thought it was centrifuge materials?
Ha!

As for bags, the 6Y and HC8 teams and many others use Pelican 1650 cases
when ever possible.  I have some background info on my DXholiday.com website
at:
http://www.dxholiday.com/dxresources.htm#equipmenttips

AA is OK with bags, but most airlines have reduced the weight of the
allowable baggage.  For overweight and excess bags, you pay at lower weights

and more $$ than before.  If you are using 2 different airlines to get to
your destination, most airlines now have costsharing agreements where the
first airline will charge you excess weight for BOTH airlines.   Of course
they will both hit you up on your return.  If you use one airline for the
trip, you only get charged once, regardless of the number of legs to your
destination.

Real-life TSA Experience:  On the inside lid of my suitcase, I always put a
copy of my license, and a note to the TSA letting them know I;ve got ham
radio equipment inside.  On the return trip from 6Y in Nov, here's what was
written on a TSA slip inside my bag:  "Dear Kenny, Thanks for the warning.
We are still going to go through your bag and mess everything up.  Signed,
A. Lead".

Kenny K2KW

--------------------------------------------------------------- The world's top contesters battle it out in Finland! THE OFFICIAL FILM of WRTC 2002 now on professional DVD and VHS!

      http://home1.pacific.net.sg/~jamesb/