Re: [CQ-Contest] Efficiently Calling CQ in CW Contests

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Efficiently Calling CQ in CW Contests
From: Jeff Stai WK6I <wk6i@twistedoak.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 08:40:08 -0800
it is common practice now in RTTY contests to end a CQ with "CQ":

CQ TEST DE WK6I WK6I CQ

The "DE" aids certain logging/RTTY programs in highlighting callsigns, and
would certainly not be necessary for CW.

The CQ at the end indicates a call, the lack of a CQ probably indicates
otherwise.

With the need to more precisely tune a RTTY signal (than other modes) this can
be a real time saver for the S&P station, and therefore a rate booster for the
running station.

In phone contests, I'll end a CQ with "contest" or "sweepstakes" or whatever is
appropriate and quick and makes sense, to encourage tuners to drop in an
immediate call rather than waiting.

I would expect that a quick TEST or SS or CQP or whatever would have the
similar effect in CW.

It occurs to me that you have to be transmitting for someone to find you, and
you need to give the S&P (especially the casual S&P) time to tune you in -
there is a balance somewhere!

73 - jeff wk6i

--
Jeff Stai               jds@twistedoak.com