Re: [CQ-Contest] DX Sprint is a good idea

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] DX Sprint is a good idea
From: "Ron Notarius WN3VAW" <wn3vaw@fyi.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 12:36:01 -0500
Jim,

I see your point, and I should have clarified that I meant "Sprint" in the
context of a shorter version of the contest.  But if "Sprint" seems
inappropriately long for a 24 hour version, I'm certainly not going to
object to another term for it!

I like your ideas for the regional DX 4 - 6 hour sprints in principle,
although I'm not sure how they would neccesarily work out in detail.
Biggest problem, of course, would be finding the right time to schedule
them, if they are indeed to be separate contests.  That's certainly
something worth pursuing too.

Let's keep in mind the overall objective here (at least IMHO).  We want to
attract casual operators to spend more time during the contests we have and
possibly in additional ones, both to hone our skills as operators and
(bluntly) to keep our bands active.  We also should try to do this in the
context of not diminishing or diluting what we have now.

A contest is also, amongst many other things, a test of the operators skill
(both in assembling the station and antennas with whatever resources
available, including limitations imposed by a large variety of factors, and
in using the station and antennas to contact other amateurs as quickly
and/or efficiently as possible with the context of the contest rules).
Providing a means for those with limited time to test their own skill level,
with the opportunity to "win" something (even if it's nothing more than
doing better than they did the last time around under the same or similar
circumstances) furthers the art of radio communications, which strikes me as
a good thing.  And isn't that what ultimately it's all about?

73, ron wn3vaw

Some people are only alive because it is illegal to shoot them
(From "The Top 17 Bumper Stickers You Would Like To See")