Re: [CQ-Contest] Dayton atendees - tell us about the new Yaesu

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Dayton atendees - tell us about the new Yaesu
From: K3BU@aol.com
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 13:36:57 EDT
Howdy conquesters!

I will report briefly on things that were of interest to me in the area of
rigs, receiver performance and where are we going.

If I had to judge by Icom and Yaesu offerings in the top end (heavy suckers)
radios, like IC7800 and FT9000 (bigger number Eh?), then gentlemen, start your
engines! This at least according to Icom display featuring cutout automotive
engine, racing jackets, pile of JA rig drivers, or perhaps helpers to carry
the radio. This is when seen from the distance. 7800 is reality, looks nice,
ergonomics are supreb in the Icom fashion, I would say decent value for the
money.

In the other corner, from closer look at Yaesu booth, not much racing stuff,
except more mature version of K7JA and bullet proof plexi case over FT9000,
the DX DNA "thing". This must be on steroids, because the sucker would require
one and half JA sumo carriers. Rumors are that it will weigh about 70 lbs. For
sure 400 W Godzilla among the rigs. Judging by the plexi condom, this was just
cardboard mockup, dummy, there was no action on the displays, just as shown
on the brochure.

So, in the competition for the biggest, baddest mother of all radios, appears
that Yaesu is the (theoretical) leader, with Icom real thing right behind at
50 lbs and with bunch of "happy" owners already. In category of performance,
Icom radio is out, can be measured, tested and some real specs will be
available soon. Yaesu has only foggy specs, everybody is claiming out of this
world
performance, beating the others, but indication based on reality is not exactly
IT.

Rob Sherwood, AC0B gave RX performance and testing presentation at the
contest forum. He outlined importance of front end design architecture and
presented
some data on his tests. The clear winners are the old/new classic radios with
low IF single conversion mixing scheme and at close spacing front end
overload test the leaders are Orion and "Sherwooded" Drake R4C. The detailed
chart
should be posted on Rob's web site. IC7800 was down on the totem pole and at
close spacing test (done by ARRL on pre-production sample) is not what the
foggy
specs are claiming. It should be noted that marketing departments of the
biggies are not shy of blowing things up, especially at their own unspecified
terms. So before I would plonk my hard earned dollars for any of those over
$10k
pieces of furniture, I would wait for more info and test results especially
because I care about overload and selectivity performance.

The Orion, as I reported earlier in my review (www.K3BU.us) has excellent
strong signal handling capabilities, filtering, good clean transmit signals,
but
lot of ergonomic shortcomings and unfinished buggy software engine. For this
contester, it does not fare well for those reasons. When you read advertising,
they all say THIS IS IT! When you get your hands on IT, it is something, but
not IT. It has one thing better, then the others, but it is left to the user to
pick the least of the evil based on what you don't care for. While talking to
contest buddies at the hospitality suites, I was quite surprised to find how
many people had problems with Orion and sent it back. Lurking on "Ten-Tec
hallelujah" reflector you will not find this out.

As far as contester's concerns, and expeditioners in particular, I doubt I
would take any of the above on expedition. The scratch on the covers might take
away $3k out of the price. I would not check it in for the airline Gorillas to
play football with gem like that and it is definitely out of question to fit
IT in carry on luggage.  IC7800 is more realistic in that department, but
FT9000 is more for people with private Yacht or airplane.

Don't despair. George, W2VJN is working on, displayed some, and coming out
with roofing filters for the rest of the "old loser" radios like FT1000D etc.,
so don't dump them yet. While they would still use high IF upconversion, but
the improvement in performance would rival IC7800, going from 60ies some dBs to
high 80ies (Orion is in low 90ies). My personal opinion is that this is the
more realistic alternative to $10k gorilla radios. If you like expensive
furniture and big size and money is no object, the go for it and enjoy the
sculpted
monsters.

DSP is coming on strong, displacing more and more circuitry, making things
more flexible, shrinking size and cost. Quite a few vendors displaying DSP
based
receivers and spectrum analyzers. Not ready for prime time yet, but around
the corner. Interesting times are ahead and contesters have a lot to look
forward too. More help with operating and integration of
computer-radio-gadgets-software is on the horizon.

My personal impression  is that Orion is "bad" enough, I enjoy it's strong
signal handling performance, hate its guts for quitting on me in the middle of
the contest run, clumsy controls and ergonomics, but for the run radio it would
do, if supplemented with IC781 or other race horse. IC7800 or FT9000? Not at
this time and for THAT money. I am not into collecting expensive furniture. I
beat my radios on the trips, no diapers around here, I look for performance
and functionality for decent price. Until my "Dream Radio One" becomes reality
am happy with Orion, FT1000D, IC781, TS950 (all filtered and modified) for
serious contesting, TS870 for carry on expeditioning, IC706 for portable,
mobile
fooling around.

Personally, I got preview of what's cooking and got reinforced in my strategy
and design goals for "Computeradio DR1". I see what is available, where the
technology is going, I know what I and other's want. After I was challenged by
one of the Ten-Tec Cult worshippers to design better radio, I decided to
embark on the task of putting together that DREAM radio I and YOU have been
dreaming about. The project has started, design is in progress, the DREAM TEAM
is
coming along very nicely, so soon you will be able to enjoy the radio station
that will outperform the rest for a reasonable cost. Those interested can check
the web site www.computeradio.us for the latest info and any comments and
requests for features are welcome.

It was a great pleasure to be back in Dayton after long pause, meeting old
friends and competitors, I enjoyed the forums, dinners, midnight pizza with old
contesting buddies. Now back to salt mines.

73 Yuri, www.K3BU.us
www.computeradio.us home of DR1