Re: [CQ-Contest] radio recommendations

To: Robert Katz <rob.katz@thelegacycenter.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] radio recommendations
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 21:38:56 -0400

On Jun 1, 2004, at 11:08 AM, Robert Katz wrote:

I have a budget of around $1000, so I'll be looking for used rigs. What radio would you recommend, and why? What criteria should I use in deciding on a radio?

For around $1000, you can buy and build a K2/100, which is in the top 5 of rigs in terms of strong adjacent signal handling. Some add-ons will cost more, like SSB, 160m, Noise Blanker, DSP or antenna tuner, but you can buy and install those as you see fit.

Of course, you'll have to build it, which could either be a bonus or a deficit, depending on your perspective.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901