Re: [CQ-Contest] Where are the JA's

To: <Jimk8mr@aol.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Where are the JA's
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 23:28:28 -0700
Good points Jim. I thought perhaps it might be the stronger
cultural emphasis on competition especially in the Eastern
European bloc countries (e.g. Radiosport). Orienteering
(another competitive aspect of amateur radio) seems to be
big over there too. Of course, when you do DX contests from
Europe, it doesn't hurt that you are sitting amidst a sea of
multipliers. In Japan you are a lot farther from the multiplier
action (JA is 7 to 8 time zones away from Europe, much the
same way that the US West Coast is 7 to 8 time zones away
from Europe). Has a JA station every won the CQ WorldWide
Contest? If so, its probably been the exception, not the rule.

JA's are the life  blood of US West Coast DX contesting, so
its too bad about the decline. Sometimes we get good Europe
here, but its usually only a sliver of what the East Coast gets.