Re: [CQ-Contest] Just when you think

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Just when you think
From: Steve London <n2ic@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 15:29:34 -0500
During CQWW CW, the behavior of most of the top-10 single-op DX stations was deplorable, especially during the first 24 hours ! As a single-op, all-band, NON-packet, unassisted participant, it is downright rude for you to not sign your call at least every 3 or 4 QSO's. It is totally unacceptable for you to ignore me when I ask you for your call.

As a result of my experience in CQWW, I am instituting a new policy - if you ignore my request for your call, I'm not going to wait around until you feel like signing your call. No QSO in my log ! I strongly encourage others to do the same. I may lose a QSO or multiplier, but guess what - you're going to lose a QSO AND you're going to be penalized 3 more QSO's for a not-in-log. You don't like that ? Tough - sign your call !

73,
Steve, N2IC

Eric Hilding wrote:
Just when you think you've heard it all.

Only dabbling in the last 10m contest, there was a CX station that I observed 2 or 3 different times only giving the callsign ID every TEN QSOs or so. Other DX stations were partially that bad. I thought I had heard the worst during the 10m contest. Not so.

On 40m tonight, I heard 3G0YP make FIFTEEN QSOs without sending his callsign, then send "QSL Via (whatever the call is) but NOT his call, make another THREE Qsos, then make a QST about 160m QRV later (but still NOT send his call), then make another FIVE Qsos before F-I-N-A-L-L-Y sending 3G0YP once.

Just when you think you've heard it all. Gheeeeez.

The reason I am posting this is primarily for DX stations who operate DX contests...as an example of what I consider to be "BAD QRV" (even if the callsign were to be P5/blahblahblah). An ID only every 3 QSOs is mildly tolerable, but if you're a DX station, as the Contest Season heats up, I sincerely hope you will not play such guessing games with operators who operate in contests who also want to make the Maximum number of QSOs within the alloted time given everyone equally.

In other words, please send your #&^! callsign frequently...in contests AND on DX-peditions (many contesters are DX-peditoners).

I compliment the 3B9C group and many other FB ops for consistently including their callsign if not every QSO, but at least every 2nd or 3rd one.

Thank you for your cooperation from which thousands of peers can benefit.

73,

Rick, K6VVA