Re: [CQ-Contest] Just when you think

To: "Bill Coleman" <aa4lr@arrl.net>,"Eric Hilding" <dx35@hilding.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Just when you think
From: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 14:33:31 -0600
Clearly the 3Y0GP example is beyond the realm of reason.

N2IC's suggestion of AT LEAST signing once per 3 QSOs, particularly in a
contest where 3 QSOs can happen in less than 30 seconds, isn't unreasonable.

Here's the thinking from the other end of the pileup (and remember, I am NOT
advocating a 3Y0GP approach): if there are 30 stations in the pileup who
know his call, there's plenty of fresh meat available. The stations who spin
the dial and move on aren't going to materially affect his score,
particularly when the pileup from start to finish is already more stations
than he can work.

Here's where I don't get bent out of shape about signing every Q: when it's
a strong pileup, when he's working it efficiently and when he's signing
every 3 or 4 Qs.

If it's a moderate to slow pileup, signing every Q certainly makes the most
sense.

The guy running the pileup is trying to manage it in a way that's best for
him. If that departs from what's best for S&Pers, it will either affect his
score and not be best for him or it's immaterial to him.

Of course, it could also be pointed out that 3Y0GP seemed to be running well
despite his lack of ID.

This is the kind of thing that memories, second VFOs or SO2R is for.

73, kelly
ve4xt