Re: [CQ-Contest] IRLP Contest

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] IRLP Contest
From: John Warren <nt5c@texas.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 17:29:13 -0600
Craig N7OR wrote:

        >The real truth seems to be that you really don't want any newcomers....

Craig,

I'm sorry, but I don't see the connection between IRLP (pro or con)
and your conclusion.

In our internal club discussion (CTDXCC) we largely agree that IRLP
isn't really ham radio "contesting". But we agree equally strongly on
the need for new, younger recruits, and we have various efforts under
way to achieve that.

Personally, I don't see how IRLP differs significantly from sending
an e-mail and/or making a 'phone call. It's sort of a hybrid between
the two. I can't conceive how that will turn on young folks in the
internet age to the fun of ham radio, For me, ham radio requires some
intelligent use of the ionosphere/ stratosphere, with the potential
for a successful or unsuccessful link based on that knowledge and
one's skill. If you could just dial up P5AA, what fun would that be?
(except to make a 40M SSB sked, hi!).

73, John, NT5C.