Re: [CQ-Contest] IRLP Contest

To: "'CQ Contest'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] IRLP Contest
From: "Joe Subich, K4IK" <k4ik@subich.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 09:29:58 -0500
I previously wrote:

> support by the ARRL for IRLP, Echolink, or any other communications
> system that uses non-amateur frequencies is a dangerous betrayal of
> Amateur Radio and I urge the Board to take a public stand against
> all forms of non-amateur "linking."

I was taken to task off the reflector for overreacting to the ARRL's
reporting, on a "slow news day" of a release by another group not
affiliated with the League.  I am concerned about the implications
for amateur radio in general and contesting in particular of these
alternate communications technologies.

Contesters and Dxers of all people, should understand the difficulty
in protecting amateur access to the spectrum as well as the right to
erect a tower sufficiently tall to be effective.  Can any of you imagine
facing a BZA (Board of Zoning Adjustment) with an anti-tower, anti-ham
Chairman who has had staff searching for a justification to reject
a tower application?

Chairman:  "Sir, you claim you need this 70' tower for effective
            DX communications.  Why do you not talk with those
            stations via IRLP or Echolink and your hand held radio?"

Amateur:   "Well I also participate in international contests."

Chairman:  "They have those on IRLP as well."

Amateur:   "... but it's not the same"

Chairman:  "It is this Board's decision that in view of the available
            alternative technologies, our prohibition on towers does
            not prevent you from participating in the activities
            you claim to enjoy.  Your application is rejected."

Again, the promotion and/or support of linking using non-amateur
transport channels is a dangerous betrayal of amateur radio.  It
opens the door to those who would claim a "higher and better use"
of amateur spectrum and, by establishing reliance on non-amateur
transport, seriously damages what is left of the amateurs' emergency
communications capability.

There is no denying the seductive attraction of extending "amateur"
capabilities with non-amateur means, just as there is no denying
the attraction of a five star hotel overlooking Old Faithful or
tucked among the majesty of an old growth redwood forest.  Still,
those attractions will ultimately destroy that when they would claim
to enhance.

Just as the National Park Service places severe limits on development
in many areas ... development that might enhance the enjoyment of
the parks by many more persons ... in order to protect the resource,
amateur radio needs to clearly repudiate the use of non-rf, non-amateur
resources.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK