Re: [CQ-Contest] CW keyer for QRQ?

To: w2up@mindspring.com, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CW keyer for QRQ?
From: Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ca>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:32:31 -0800
--On 2005-3-20 1:45 PM +0000 Barry  <w2up@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I currently use a CMOS Super Keyer III, which is limited to 60 WPM.
> I need a keyer that will do 70-80 WPM, and preferably is calibrated
> so you know what the speed is.  Anyone have any suggestions?

In theory you could use the morse(6) command on a FreeBSD box to key a
serial line to do this. There is no inherent upper limit in the keying
speed that I can think of, but it's been quite a while since I wrote
that code. The speed calibration is derived from the computers system
clock, so it should be bang-on. But again, read the code before taking
my word for it; I wrote that as a weekend project, not as a test
harness :-)

--lyndon