[CQ-Contest] Nets and Nuts

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Nets and Nuts
From: K3BU@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 15:42:46 EST
Oh, boy!
While I have a consideration for nets that serve purpose, I have a problem
with some of them.

First, so called DX nets destroyed DXing (for me anyway) with "last heard you
were 3 by 3" and "good contact". I quit collecting countries with this kind
of "assistance", means nothing anymore (how did you get your 300 something DXC?
On the "nets", or on your own?).

Second the "ego trip" nets. How many times, especially on low bands, when I
fire up on dead band and work the contest, some egonetmaniac comes on and asks
to vacate the frequency because their "QRU net" is coming on. Usually bunch of
OF that have nothing to say except that they are still alive and QRU. I grind
my teeth and try to move in order to keep harmony between contesters and them
netmaniacs.

Third, enough was said on 14300, I would just add that seems they got so far
as pretending they own the frequency and asking on their web site to bitch to
CQ for sponsoring QRM with "stupid contest" over the weekend.
I just gave it brief listen on 14300 and all I hear is some guy (..'VBQ) with
fat tongue, hard to understand, elated that there is no traffic. ("What you
got there Dick? - Oh, not much!")
Besides K1MAN, we have egomaniacs running their nets and demanding everybody
stays away from "their" frequencies.

If I was in a boat or whatever in distress, and my commercial communications
failed and only resource was ham radio, I would find loudest, brightest
(contester) ham on the band, call him "mayday" and try to pass the traffic,
rather
than wait my line with 14300 "net control". Is there any problem with that?
Isn't that what the ham radio has been doing for ages without QRU nets?

I saved few lives during my ham radio "career" without nets. If my life had
to depend on 14300 net, I'd rather not go out in a dinghy.

Seems that we have some among us that all they can think of in a way of
gratification is to be a net controller.
I have nothing against the nets, but they have to realize that there are
there to share the bands with all licensed hams, and it would be a great
courtesy
to let us "contest nuts" have their fun few weekends a year and then go back
to hibernation or working on their antennas in between, during the net times.

Anyway, fuggettaboutit!!!

Yuri, K3BU
ready to assist emergencies without nets or nuts