Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ-Contest Digest, Vol 27, Issue 52

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>, <swojton@wzrd.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ-Contest Digest, Vol 27, Issue 52
From: "Ron Notarius" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 13:26:12 -0500
Steve,

I think you've just opened the proverbial can of worms here.

The problem is, there will always be contesters (or other band users) who
will infringe on the net in one way or another.  It's not pleasant, but it
is reality, and it is simply something that will have to be lived with.

I doubt that you will be able to get the major (or other) contest operators
to write in the rules something to specifically protect the net, valuable
though the net is or may be on any given day.  And even if it is put in the
rules, it's more likely to be ignored.  Why?  Because there's always the
contester who just has to push the envelope to the limit (and beyond) to get
that extra 1/2 kc of clear space... or has to answer the unworked station
(on or near your frequency in an area that either doesn't have propagation
to the net, or is ignoring it) on or near you.  Having said that, though,
remember that most contests have a rule to the effect of requiring
participants to use good amateur practice while participating... and
deliberately interfering with a net in progress is certainly NOT good
amateur practice.

Your best bet, overall, is to learn to live with it.  Just keep reminding
people during the operation of the net that the frequency is NOT being used
by contesters, and ask contesters stumbling on the frequency to please QSY.
Bottom line is that NO frequency is "owned" by anyone, and we have to all
share the resource.  And sometimes that means putting up with
inconveniences.

Having said that, a good contester will realize very quickly that operating
on top of an active public service net is not a wise choice and move
elsewhere.  Of course, some contesters won't... but the good ones will.
That gets into a whole 'nother can of worms -- one mess at a time <g>.

73, ron wn3vaw