Re: [CQ-Contest] Real emergencies

To: cQ-Contest MailList <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Real emergencies
From: "Lee Hiers" <aa4ga@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 17:29:50 -0500
On 28 Mar 2005 at 22:41, Bryan W5KFT wrote:

> I think that it is a good point that in the event of a really true emergency
> that many contesters have a lot to offer and at the top of the list is BIG
> SIGNALS.  It would be interesting if we could know if those folks really in
> need of help would go to the antenna in the attic group on some special
> frequency or if they would select a BIG signal contest station they could
> really hear well.....

Back in 1977, during SS a local dam burst, flooding a valley below
the dam, causing 39 fatalities.
http://ga.water.usgs.gov/news/historical-toccoa/

I was a fairly active traffic handler at the time, and immediately
ceased operating the contest and started handling traffic as needed.
As far as I remember, there were absolutely no conflicts between the
contest and the radio communications supporting the emergency.

I can't think of any contester who would ignore a legitimate
emergency during a contest.  If the 14300 bunch believes that, they
really don't have a clue.

In addition to the big signals 'KFT mentioned, most contesters have a
vastly superior ability to copy weak signals compared to the average
operators I've monitored on the various MM nets.

73 de Lee

--
Lee Hiers, AA4GA
Cornelia, Georgia