Re: [CQ-Contest] 14.300 MHz

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 14.300 MHz
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 01:03:21 +0000
Having at one time been a keen sailor myself, who has also been
the one on the hard whilst friends & family sailed the Pacific &
South China Sea, this thread has been interesting.

I have pitched in when my station & operating ability were needed -
I have even been called by UK Coastguards & sat between them,
HK MARDEP's SAR center & the vessel concerned.

Perhaps those on 14300 near NA aren't entirely like the lot we
have out here on 14320 kc - our yachties are generally all illegals,
use amateur equipment & amateur bands first & foremost due
to cost & much of their communications, if done by a licensed
amateur, would be in breach of license conditions.

N2NL was spot on (though I haven't a clue what W6YOO was
on about).

The comment made at one point about the overall value of
yachtie nets as compared to radiosport was over the top.

No one - repeat NO ONE - can lay claim to ANY frequency like
this in the Amateur Service.

And what is the saddest part is that some of the antics
described here were probably done by licensed amateurs.  The
lot on 14320 do not do this & the real amateurs who associate
with them do not remind me of some of the gung-ho ARES-types
on www.hamsexy.com

With all due respect, sod off.

73, VR2BrettGraham