Re: [CQ-Contest] Canada versus USA

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Canada versus USA
From: Tom Frenaye <frenaye@direcway.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 14:16:04 -0400
At 10:27 AM 4/8/2005, KU8E wrote:
>It is because the interest in contesting is poor in Canada.

I'd be interested in why you think that is true.

Looking at the logs submitted for the ARRL DX Contest this year I don't see
much difference between the number of logs sent in by USA and Canadian hams.
(The SSB list is not a complete list yet because it doesn't include paper logs.)

Here's what I found:

CW   70 Canadian, 1119 USA     (USA totals do not include KP2 KP4 KH6 KL7 etc)
SSB  72 Canadian, 1005 USA

The combined total is 142 Canadian logs and 2124 USA logs (or 6.7% - about 1
Canadian log for each 15 USA logs)

Compare that to the number of Canadian vs US hams (rough numbers)

44,000 Canadian (as of 2000 IARU report - this may be underestimated)
655,000 USA (without 14,000 - KP2 KP4 KH6 KL7 etc; from AH0A.org)

The ratio is 6.7% or about 1 Canadian ham to 15 USA hams...

Someone else can try the same analysis with Sweepstakes...

Personally, I think the Contest Club of Ontario ( http://www.qsl.net/cco/ ) has
done a great job of turning out VE3 activity in the last couple of years. They
have 150 members now.   Sure, I'd love to work more Canadians.  I'd even be
happy with more QSOs from Georgia.

Again, why are we kicking Canada?

               73 Tom