Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC 2006 and Writelog

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC 2006 and Writelog
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 14:16:16 -0400
>Quoting further from Rule 8: "Nevertheless TR and CT could be used
>but the Committee does not assume any responsibility on the
>conversion to cabrillo. We will ask CT and TR to develop a specific
>version for WRTC 2006 in order to mitigate or eliminate problems on
>the conversion to cabrillo."

......The rule should state that as long as the organisers can receive
their logs in
>Cabrillo, any logging software can be used. For example, what about
>the fantastic Win-Test logging software? No mention of that as an
>alternative, even though it has one-click-Cabrillo [tm] and supports
>the IARU HF Championship natively. And what about NA?

And, for that matter, what about N1MM Logger?  MM also supports the IARU
contest, exports Cabrillo at a mouseclick, and is rapidly gaining users
worldwide.  I wrote a review of MM for the next issue of NCJ, out within
the next few weeks, and am working on a review of Win-Test.  It's pretty
clear, at least from where I sit, that all of the DOS-based logging
programs are losing ground rapidly, but to single out one Windows logging
program strikes me as provincial at best.

I think the organizers' statement was an ill-considered reaction to
problems I have heard about (though not in detail) that occurred during the
last WRTC, involving CT and Cabrillo output.  Sufficient time remains for
revision of this and other minor aspects of the Brazilian approach.

73, Pete N4ZR