Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC 2006 and Writelog

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC 2006 and Writelog
From: "Mario" <s56a@bit.si>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 13:39:44 +0200
OH1NOA> The issue is propably that in the last WRTC, these softwares
couldn't make conversion to CORRECT Cabrillo format. It seemed not to be so
easy after all.

Actually it is!  Cabrillo robots are mostly "Made in USA".  Written in C,
they "read blanks until char appears" being very tolerant of spacings.
Homebrew variants probably stick strictly to published formats and often
miss few spaces.  This was well known problem in 1960s with Fortran.  The
beauty of standards is that there are so many of them :-)  My SOAPBOX always
includes: "It takes the mathematician to make such a "standard" format!"
dedicated to N5KO.

I also feel that IARU Cabrillo output within 15 minutes should be the only
requirement for WRTC-2006 program.

My own log format caused problems in 1996 although it was sent well in
advance.  But I was luckier then Finns.
WRTC-2000 problem with DL6FBL log was caused by CT not signaling diskette
write error.
Enough diskette log space was not provided by SCC organizers (S57AW and me)
by mistake.

73 de Mario, S56A, N1YU