Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC 2006 and Writelog

To: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC 2006 and Writelog
From: Simon MØCLW <m0clw@ftml.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 14:44:05 +0100
Hi CQ-Contest,

>      Under Rule 8, it says: "We highly recommend the use of Writelog for
> all competitors."
>
>      Can anyone expain why the organizers are recommending one particular
> product brand over another?  (Especially given that most WRTC 2002 teams
> chose not to use Writelog.)

A very good question indeed, Kenneth.

Quoting further from Rule 8: "Nevertheless TR and CT could be used
but the Committee does not assume any responsibility on the
conversion to cabrillo. We will ask CT and TR to develop a specific
version for WRTC 2006 in order to mitigate or eliminate problems on
the conversion to cabrillo."

Now, this strikes me as being overly odd. Firstly, why should any
problems be encountered on the conversion to Cabrillo? Exporting a
log in Cabrillo format for a contest is now de facto standard, and
just about any contester can do this. And I have no doubt that WRTC
competitors will have absolutely no qualms/problems in exporting to
Cabrillo. So, what's the issue? Surely the authors of CT/TR have
already ensured that the exportation to Cabrillo is an easy task to
undertake?

Secondly, something else which strikes me as being odd is, why
mention *any* specific logging programs at all? The rule should
state that as long as the organisers can receive their logs in
Cabrillo, any logging software can be used. For example, what about
the fantastic Win-Test logging software? No mention of that as an
alternative, even though it has one-click-Cabrillo [tm] and supports
the IARU HF Championship natively. And what about NA? I don't know
much about NA, and indeed whether it supports IARU, but if it does
(and I expect it does), it should also be mentioned. The fact is,
there are quite a number of logging applications and most, if not
all, of them export to Cabrillo - thus the organisers should not
list even one application in the rules.

Or, am I missing something? As each team will have a referee, must
the referee be able to understand the logging program fully, in
order to be able to oversee everything effectively? In that case, I
can see why WriteLog, CT and TR are mentioned explicitly as these
will be the applications that the referees will be instructed to
'learn'. And if this is the case, apologies to the organisers. But
again, if this is the case, the rules should state that as being the
reason why an application other than WL/CT/TR cannot be used.

Some clarification, please?

Simon Pearson, M0CLW
* CDXC * WWYC * UKYC