Re: [CQ-Contest] Barking up the wrong ARRL DX tree

To: Steve London <n2ic@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Barking up the wrong ARRL DX tree
From: Alan Zack <k7acz@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 20:55:26 -0700
Steve,
If you are big on contesting why not get a 5 call to match your QTH.
That's the way it used to be, you move, you get a new call.  Too bad
it's not the rules anymore.  I hate it when a rare DX in AF or EU asks
for the East Coast to stand by to work a few West Coast stations, asks
for W6 or W7.  He then comes back to a W6 who gives him a 59 from FL
or some other East Coast QTH.  Not fair to the REAL W6 and W7 stations.

Steve London wrote:

> Cqtestk4xs@aol.com wrote:
>

>>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>I disagree.  The majority of the US does have a shot at winning the contest.
>>

> Yeah, right !  When was the last time you (or anyone else who normally lives
> near the east coast) operated from west of 90 degrees W longitude and came
> even
> close to winning the SOAB high power category in any major contest ?  Try it
> sometime for a learning experience.
>
> I guess those of us who consistently put in major efforts and operate from
> W5,
> 6, 7, or 0  are simply 3rd class lids, or we would have occassionally won.
>
> Steve, N2IC/5

Alan Zack
Amateur Radio Station K7ACZ
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Quality Engineer, The Boeing Company, Retired
SEMPER PARATUS
http://www.gocoastguard.com
http://www.uscg.mil/d14/units/asbp/uscgasbp/
DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY