Re: [CQ-Contest] license class and m-m op's

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] license class and m-m op's
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 07:41:39 +0000
K8DO added:

>The Third Party rule is a law left over from another era that no longer
>has any reason to exist today... The entire point of Third Party Rule
>was to protect the national telephone monopolies from competition...
>When it used to cost dollars per minute to make long distance calls,
>particularily across the ocean (undersea telephone/telegraph cables)
>the thought of hams taking money from the till by providing free calls
>gave telecommunication ministers and telephone executives sleepless
>nights... So, governments insisted upon the third party rule to protect
>their robber barons... Now, with VOIP those rules are 'so' passe....
>
>The contesting community needs to present the FCC/ARRL with a united
>front on this and demand that they drop all rules preventing lower
>class licensees from operating in higher class sub bands as long as an
>appropriately licensed control op is PRESENT....        -  I have no
>problem with them or the ARRL taking action where a lower class
>licensee is operating in higher class sub bands without an
>appropriately licensed control op present -   Obviously, the log cannot
>be submitted under an unlicensed name or lower class licensee call, as
>apparently was done in the case cited...

Not much point, as international third party is dictated by ITU.  It is
probably a national prerogative that makes domestic third party
traffic in USA okay (example: NTS, which if I'm not mistaken is
still around & was so back in the good old days when we still had
Ma Bell & leaded petrol ;^).  USA is probably best off in terms of
this stuff already.

Ultimately, contest operation isn't third party in any sense.  The
particular case NQ4I apparently was asking about had to do with
a chap who was unsupervised & unable to operate where he did
with his license & therefore was the third party himself.  It followed
the chap previously thinking he could operate like this under
some reciprocal licensing or recognition basis that he didn't
qualify for as an emigrant or dual national/citizen.  As a possible
on-going thing, Riley appears to have cut to the chase (one way
or the other, you're nicked - take your pick what I cop you for,
mate).

Really a privileges & supervision issue at the root than third
party - nothing appears to have really changed for lower class
license guest-ops in USA.

Perhaps whether the supervision necessary to be legal in USA
causes a problem in relation to contest rules for single-ops
is something worthy of our thrashing out instead.  ;^)

73, VR2BrettGraham