Re: [CQ-Contest] license class and m-m op's

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] license class and m-m op's
From: "Bob Naumann" <n5nj@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 18:50:07 -0500
Wait just a minute.  Thanks for the crediting me with authoring a "ruling"
but I'm not doing anything besides giving my opinion in this forum.

That said, I am one who operated at Multi-Multis with less than an Extra
class license and had to endure the humiliation of not being able to operate
beyond my license privileges.  You know what I did?  I upgraded.  Anyone can
- especially now that the tests are nearly meaningless.

Aside from allowing someone to operate with privileges they have not earned,
and perhaps never have a need to upgrade, such an interpretation of the
rules serves no purpose.

Oh, but what about the poor no-code tech who we want to get into real
contesting?  Let them work 28.3 to 28.5 on 10m.  How about operating
domestic contests?  How about Field Day? How about SS?  No problems there.
Then, help them upgrade!  What's the big deal?

If this is truly an issue, and the FCC interprets it's regulations
differently from what it actually says, then they should revise them to be
more clear.

The recent report on the ARRL website about the individual violation
reflects what I believe to be the correct interpretation of the rules.

See y'all in Dayton.

73,
N5NJ