Re: [CQ-Contest] license class and m-m op's

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] license class and m-m op's
From: "Mike McCarthy, W1NR" <lists@w1nr.net>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 13:22:24 -0400
I missed that line.  The FCC has long been known to issue conflicting
rulings.  One field office will interpret things one way and another will
interpret them differently.  The only resolution is a rule change in part 97
that spells it out in black and white.  I guess the following part of the
rules is in question...

Note the end of Section 97.115(a)(2) "This prohibition does not apply to a
message for any third party who is eligible to be a control operator of the
station".

Now you can interpret this both ways.

1. Any valid license holder is NOT considered "Third Party".

2. License holder IS considered "Third Party" if a message is passed on a
frequency that he/she is NOT eligible to use as a control operator.

Which is correct?  Only a published decision from FCC HQ in Washington will
decide.  Maybe the ARRL should ask again for a clarification or rule change
based on the text of this enforcement action (which comes from a field
office and not Washington).  As I mentioned before with regards to satellite
or repeater operations, a tech operating on 440 that is retransmitted on 28
or 21 would not be third party and would not be operating out of band.

Mike, W1NR