Re: [CQ-Contest] What to log?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] What to log?
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 00:20:27 +0000
K7ACZ continued:

>I have always heard (beginning when I was a KL7) that when a US
>licensed amateur operates from Canada he must still abide by the US
>freq bandwidths but this is not stated so on your reference.  It does
>say Canadian hams operating in the US must abide by the US bandwidths
>and not Canadian bandwidths.  Did I have it backwards all these years?

The relevant document appears to be
http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/internet/insmt-gst.nsf/vwapj/ric2.PDF/$FILE/ric2.PDF

If a W citizen & resident has at least 5 wpm Morse proficiency,
then the W is considered equivalent to holder of Basic, Advanced &
Morse op certificate (top VE class).

Maybe you meant bandplan instead of bandwidth, Alan?  They
don't need no stinking bandplans in Canada (apologies to Jim
Belushi ;^).  Bandwidth-wise, you can go up to 6 kc on most
HF bands (1 kc on 30m, so I guess that's why we don't see
VEs on SSB).

One thing to watch out for, however, might be amps - you can't
have one capable of exceeding VE power limits by more than
3 dB.  I wasn't aware of that one.

Keeping with the subject of the thread, any non-Canadian call
from VE must sign portable VE#, VA#, VY0-2, V01 or V02 (so
none of those special prefixes, unless covered elsewhere).

Hmmm - maybe that's a typo (it's clearly V0# & not VO# in the
document).

73, VR2BrettGraham