Re: [CQ-Contest] What to log?

To: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] What to log?
From: Alan Zack <k7acz@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 14:22:54 -0700
Yes, I meant band plan.  For example, a W7 crosses over to VE7 and
signs VE7/W7xxx but cannot operate below 14.150, 21.200, etc like a
licensed VE7 can.  Seems I was told that when I drove from KL7 to
Seattle thru VE7 with a mobile rig but maybe got it wrong.

VR2BrettGraham wrote:

> K7ACZ continued:
>

>>I have always heard (beginning when I was a KL7) that when a US
>>licensed amateur operates from Canada he must still abide by the US
>>freq bandwidths but this is not stated so on your reference.  It does
>>say Canadian hams operating in the US must abide by the US bandwidths
>>and not Canadian bandwidths.  Did I have it backwards all these years?
>

> The relevant document appears to be
> http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/internet/insmt-gst.nsf/vwapj/ric2.PDF/$FILE/ric2.PDF
>
> If a W citizen & resident has at least 5 wpm Morse proficiency,
> then the W is considered equivalent to holder of Basic, Advanced &
> Morse op certificate (top VE class).
>
> Maybe you meant bandplan instead of bandwidth, Alan?  They
> don't need no stinking bandplans in Canada (apologies to Jim
> Belushi ;^).  Bandwidth-wise, you can go up to 6 kc on most
> HF bands (1 kc on 30m, so I guess that's why we don't see
> VEs on SSB).
>
> One thing to watch out for, however, might be amps - you can't
> have one capable of exceeding VE power limits by more than
> 3 dB.  I wasn't aware of that one.
>
> Keeping with the subject of the thread, any non-Canadian call
> from VE must sign portable VE#, VA#, VY0-2, V01 or V02 (so
> none of those special prefixes, unless covered elsewhere).
>
> Hmmm - maybe that's a typo (it's clearly V0# & not VO# in the
> document).
>
> 73, VR2BrettGraham

Alan Zack
Amateur Radio Station K7ACZ
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Quality Engineer, The Boeing Company, Retired
SEMPER PARATUS
http://www.gocoastguard.com
DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY