[CQ-Contest] "Everyone" knows CT...

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] "Everyone" knows CT...
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 11:46:15 -0700
On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 08:49:29AM -0400, Mark Bailey KD4D wrote:

> I recently did an informal survey of PVRC members, and Writelog
> was by far the most popular logging program!
>
> The "big guns" I have been at use CT (DOS) or Writelog (Windows).
> I personally use TRLog for single operator contests (also DOS).
> Most people know how to use CT, and this is a factor for the
> bigger stations.

I don't think this is necessarily true for anyone getting into the sport
in the past five to ten years or so.  I started contesting in the 1996-1997
contest season, and I can only recall maybe three contests I've done where
I had to use CT - Field Day in 1996, the June VHF contest at K8GP in 1998,
and CQWW SSB 2004 at K3LR.  Every time, I have to re-learn all those
obscure function keys and hidden windows and what-not.  I almost always
use TR, but I've been to several multis where I've had to use WriteLog.

I think anyone getting into the sport today would almost certainly be
using something other than CT.  If your perception is that "everyone"
knows CT, maybe you just have an older peer community around you.

--
Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker@kenharker.com