Re: [CQ-Contest] FT-1000MP

To: KE5CTY Bob <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>, Mark Bailey <kd4d@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] FT-1000MP
From: "John Geiger (NE0P)" <ne0p@lcisp.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 12:56:25 -0500
There are several other factors which are important in contesting besides
overall receiver performance:

One is computer control.  While some older radios may have fine receiver
performance, they do not allow for computer control, so most would not want
them.  I do not use computer control for my radio, but then I am not a big gun
contester either.

Another factor is dual receive.  The FT1000MP and MKV do dual receive better
than the 756PRO series (I know, it isn't true dual receive, but close enough).
The Yaesu rigs allow you to put separate the receiver audio by ears, and also
to use different levels of filtering in each receiver.  You can also put the
receivers on different modes.  You can't do any of these things with the Icom
radios-except the 7800.

The Yaesu MKV also runs 200 watts, as does the FT1000D.  There is no Icom radio
that does 200 watts except the 7800.  This means you can run the FT1000MP right
at 150 watts if you are entering in the low power category, or if you want to
go high power, you can run in class A mode since that will drive most amps, for
a cleaner signal.

Also, the Yaesu FT1000MP series uses crystal filtering at several IFs.  The
Icom 756PRO uses DSP filtering at one IF.  While the DSP filtering gives more
flexibility in filter widths, the cascaded crystal filters may give better
performance overall, or at least are perceived to give better performance.
W8JI wrote an interesting column on this issue recently in Worldradio.  Among
other things, the DSP filtering occurs very late in the receiver chain-at the
last IF-which leaves 3 pervious stages to introduce and amplify distortion.
INRAD now offers a narrow roofing filter for the FT1000MP and MKV series, which
would really improve the receiver performance of these units.

Reliability is another factor.  The best radio ever made isn't worht it if it
keeps breaking halfway through a contest.  There is no denying that the Orion
puts up some very impressive numbers, but I have also read many threads about
firmware problems it has where the radio locks up.  Also, the Icom 756PRO
series does seem to have a few more reliability problems (based on reviews I
have seen) than the FT1000MP seriesl.

One final factor is the ergonomics and how easy the radio is to operate.  I
have never owned a FT1000MP radio, but did get a chance to play with one at
Hamcomm a little this year.  It seemed OK to operate, and I am sure it would
better with experience.  I did own an Icom 756 for awhile, and it is very easy
to operate.  I thought it was set up just right.  The PRO series is about the
same, so should be very nice to use.

If you look at the published numbers for close in spacing on IMD (QST, and
especially Sherwood Engineering (www.sherweng.com) and www.w8ji.com) you see
that the Icom PROII and PROIII look much better than the FT1000MP MKV.  Still,
the Yaesus seem to be the perferred radio of choice for contesting.  I do think
the Yaesu gets much closer with some mods and the INRAD filter.  And the MKV is
several hundred less than the PROIII currently is, and at least 1000 less than
the Orion.

Kenwood hasn't made a dual receive radio since the TS950SDX (no longer in
production), and that one was difficult to use dual receive in (at least
according to QST).  The TS870 never really caught on as a contest rig for some
reason, and Kenwood currently isn't making a high-end contest rig.  The TS2000
does it all (I have one), but isn't set up nor marketed as a contest rig.

Hope this helps a bit. Will be interested in seeing others responses also.

73s John NE0P