Re: [CQ-Contest] FT-1000MP

To: "N7MAL" <N7MAL@CITLINK.NET>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>,"David O Hachadorian" <k6ll@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] FT-1000MP
From: "Igor Sokolov" <ua9cdc@r66.ru>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 19:20:51 +0600
I got my IC751a when visiting Washington DC 10 years ago. It was
second hand radio even then. The battery here still does not show any
sign of deterioration. When it does - there are other options then
sending radio to the factory. Substitute battery can be easily
purchased locally and fitted in by user. The way to do it is well
described many times in the Icom reflector. Another option is new RAM
board from Roberto Nardo
http://home1.gte.net/rhashiro/am-radio/ik2rnd-icom-ramboard.htm
Its price is 54 $ and Roberto provides very good service. You can
read reviews here http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/896
What IC751a is really missing is UX14 board that allows the radio to
communicate to computer. This part is not available from Icom since
long time ago. Piexx
http://www.piexx.com/index.php?main_page=products_newdoes a
substitute but it is relatively expensive (139$).
Still I think that IC751A is pretty good radio for contesting and
capable of giving good run for money to many modern rigs.

73, Igor UA9CDC

> I have been following this thread with interest. I had a 751A and
won several contest certificates while using the 751A. That being
said the 751A was probably the worst radio ever designed by any
manufacturer anywhere in the world. Yes you could put good filters in
the radio and it would be a formidable radio for contesting
especially on CW. But it also had a battery in it and anyone who was
ever a 751A owner knows exactly what I'm referring to. Either you
sent the radio back to Icom or you were at the mercy of the
'after-market' memory board manufacturers when the battery died.
(Been there done that)
> I now own a 1000MP MKV. Yes changing the RF Amp to tuned from flat
increases signal but, and this is a big but, it also increases the
noise floor giving the impression it's improving the front end. If
you didn't hear a signal before you turned on TUNED then you still
not going to hear it. I guess some guys get a 'warm-n-fuzzy' comfort
feeling hearing more background noise. The 1000MP has a very good
rcvr on 10 meters it's just a very quiet rcvr.

> P.S. Dave please stay in California this year so the rest of the
guys in Arizona will have a chance..hihi...:-)