[CQ-Contest] CQWW results

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] CQWW results
From: SP5UAF <tomek@sp5zcc.waw.pl>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 00:58:20 +0000
Hi All,

There is a long, interesting discussion about LOTW. I would like to
write about another subject.

CQ WW DX Contest results were published last weeks, PHONE and CW parts.
Perhaps there is a kind of fate over Polish results but this year we
again have problems and there are mistakes or inaccuracies in the
published results.

In 2003 my friend Bogdan SP3RBR operated SO 160m in the CW part. He
operated from the station of SP3BQ also using callsign SP3BQ. He made
very good score (1st Europe, 4th World). But he was not mentioned as
the operator in the final results. You know - if you are the operator
of the station you usually want to see your call on the trophy. It
stays forever on the trophy as the symbol of your operating skills.
Bogdan SP3RBR wrote 5 letters to different known e-mail addresses of
K3EST but got no answer. In the end he cleared everything thanks to the
help of K1AR.

We have almost the same with the 2004 results. In 2004 Andrew SP8NR
operated from the QTH of SP3BQ using also his call. Perfect score:
World 2, Europe 1. But if you have a look at "CW TROPY WINNERS and
DONORS" section of the results you can see that the trophy goes to
SP3BQ - the operator SP8NR is not mentioned (however SP8NR is mentioned
in the country results).
But is not all. Bogdan SP3RBR really has no luck. Last year he operated
from SN3A. This time it was SO 3,5MHz: World 3, Europe 1. And... have a
look at the "CW TROPY WINNERS and DONORS" section again. The winner
is... "SN3A (Opr: Czeslaw Dubicki, SP3HLM)". Can you believe? OK -
SP3HLM was the operator at SN3A but not in 2004, it was in 2000.

Can reading the CQ WW contest results give you so much fun as
contesting itself? Perhaps sometime... If you read the contest results
carefully you know similar situations:
- you expect to have 2nd or 3rd place in Europe but you are 4th because
  the 3rd EU station is from Madeira.
- you have outstanding score on 40 meters but you are on 20 in the
  final results
- you were operating HP but you find your score as the winner of LP
etc.

The last thing are the top secret results. OK - I understand that CQWW
events are organized by a commercial magazine. They are published in
the magazine. That's OK. But donors as well as participants are just
usual HAMs, contesters. I am not a subsciber of the "CQ" but I think
that results should be published on the WWW site of the organizer some
months after they are published in the magazine.
When you visit WWW site of the "CQ" you can see a big title "CQ WW DX
Contest Results Now Online". Click on the link and the last year the
results are published for is 2002. Yes: 2002. The 2004 results were
just published but 2003 results still can't be published on-line. Every
year the results are spreaded secretly and the "CQ" WWW site is the
last place you visit to find the final results.

73
Tom
SP5UAF