Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW results

To: "Alan Zack" <k7acz@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW results
From: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2005 08:17:52 -0500
Hi Alan,

The only fly in your ointment is that the contesters you suggest would quit
the magazine already get the results and would have no reason to be pissed
off.

The challenge for CQ would be to differentiate between those who are truly
disadvantaged in getting results and those who simply choose not to buy the
magazine. Then, they'd have to safeguard against free distribution of
results to isolated amateurs from disrupting their circulation.

The corollary to your proposal, of course, is that once results are
available freely, how many subscriptions and single-copy sales would CQ
lose? And while it is true that no publication lives on circulation
revenues, circulation is the only thing that interests advertisers.

Even the ARRL only provides non-members with a pdf of the magazine results,
not full results, so unless you make Top 10 or for some other reason get
written into the article, you're out of luck unless you're an ARRL member.

The Internet is a wonderful resource. A consequence of that is now everybody
expects information to be free.

My company doesn't work for free and I'm sure yours doesn't either. Why
should CQ be expected to?

73, kelly
ve4xt