Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW results

To: CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW results
From: "Lee Hiers" <aa4ga@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 17:50:07 -0400
On 6 Aug 2005 Alan  wrote:

> > Lee Hiers wrote:

Well, due to inattention on my part, I've just now realized that Mr.
Zack has been quoting my private replies to him on the reflector.
Tsk-tsk, such manners.

So, in the interest of completeness, here's my most recent email to
him:

On 5 Aug 2005 Alan  wrote:

> All that I am asking is that CQ provide contest results
> to contesters who enter their contests on their CQ
> Contest website, PERIOD!

And what I am saying is that if they do that, they will
never receive a penny of revenue from me (and many others
like me) - I purchase CQ ONLY for contest results.  I would NEVER buy
the magazine if the contest results were online
for all to retrieve at no cost.

You admit that contesting is CQ's "bread and butter", yet
you insist they should give away their product.

> Many DX'ers and especially those in 3rd world countries
> can't afford a subscription, and even if they did
> subscribe chances are the magazine wouldn't reach them
> anyway.

If they can't afford a subscription, how can they afford
having a contest station?  How can they afford QSLing?  How can they
afford the INTERNET ACCESS required to access the
results you want posted?

> I subscribe, but I don't want to have to sort through a
> stack of old magazines to check out contest scores for
> various contests over the years.

Ah, that's really it...you don't want to have to keep up
with stacks of paper.  OK, here's a solution for you...it involves a
small amount of work on your part so you probably won't do it, but
here goes:  Scan your paid-for hard copy of the results into a file
you can access from your computer.  It takes no revenue from CQ,
would most likely be considered acceptable under Fair Use doctrines
of copyright laws - as long as you didn't provide these copies to
anyone else, and you could store them on your hard drive in whatever
scheme you wish to organize them for easy retrieval.

Again, thanks for the apology...I'm sure you thought it.

73 de Lee

> Lee Hiers wrote:
>
> > On 2 Aug 2005 Alan  wrote:
> >

> >>You asked a question and I answered it.  I see no
reason why you have to get
> >>so bent out of shape.  Try to be a little more civil in your replies.
> >

> > Sorry, Alan...I think you must have misread my
tone...I'm
> > *not* bent out of shape and *was* trying to be civil.
> >

> >>Maybe it's time for you to get back on the meds.....
> >

> > That wasn't very nice.  Talk about a lack of
civility...

--
Lee Hiers, AA4GA
Cornelia, Georgia