Re: [CQ-Contest] Competing in the Daylight

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Competing in the Daylight
From: K3BU@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 10:22:42 EDT
In a message dated 10/12/2005 9:37:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Jimk8mr@aol.com writes:

Concerning making logs available for public review, is there a  person, or
site, to which one can send a log to be posted for public consumption  after
the
log submission deadline?<<

I think the best way to handle the public viewing of logs, is to have say in
CQ WW, after the log emailing deadline and checking of logs, have the logs and
associated UBN files open and available for public viewing for period of few
weeks and be open for any comments or reports of suspected irregularities
feedback to CC. After the review and checking out, the CC would finalize the
results and post official scores on the web or in the magazine (and send
certificates/trophies).

This way there will be opportunity for close competitors to check each other
and report any suspected anomalies, unburdening the CC from tedious work of
processing multitude of logs. Practically, only close scores, potential
records,
really need closer scrutiny and this will help. "Losers" at 56th place in the
continent couldn't care less, but their logs are important to check the
"whiners".  This would also be the great opportunity to learn and see the
differences and propagation from various locations.

Having separate sites would only complicate and confuse things. This should
be done by the contest sponsors. They have everything going on already, just
remove the requirements for the passwords, announce when the logs are ready for
viewing and give couple weeks for comments/corrections.

This real time reporting idea might be "nice" sometimes in the future when
all of us will be on high speed Internet, but for now, I think we have much
more
"to fix" in contesting, rather than worry about "contesting in the daylight".
I just can't picture myself worrying about following competition in CQ WW
(why?). One thing there is a shift in propagation and density of contacts as
the
Earth turns. Our contesting is more of race within the time frame rather than
real time "running" against the competitors. Those who want to observe action
during the contest - take part in it, at least monitor the top racers, observe
they operating and reward others with QSOs and points. Watching the bar graph
on Internet gives you what? UBN will fix that anyway!

I just wonder how many top ten scoring stations really care how their
competition is doing during the contest. As I said before, if I am serious, I
try to
run like hell, according to best of my abilities to maximize my score,
regardless of what my competitors are doing. To me it just might look like
another
idea of soliciting QSOs and points outside of rules, just like webcam, packet
friend/selfspotting and other "clever" ideas.

For those who still don't "gitit": Packet is assistance by (an)other
operator(s) and therefore either Assisted or Multi Operator category. Single
operator
does all the work himself at (his) station, without being fed information by
others. Publicizing logs will be a deterrent to "assistance" cheating by SO.
Smart operators invest in antennas, station equipment and fine honing operating
skills and beat "assisted" most, if not all the time. Work the stuff before
packeteers get to it and scare it off the band.

Yuri, K3BU.us