Re: [CQ-Contest] Domestic Contest Spots/Cheating

To: "'Cq-Contest Reflector'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Domestic Contest Spots/Cheating
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 15:07:55 -0000
Ok, so you have no statistics, only a 'feeling' about coincidences in a very
small sample.  And even your statements below are not an indication of a
problem.... consider the following to be a minimal analysis of your
statements.

Rate afterwards 1q/min, so in 10 minutes you make 10 qso's.
Rate in peak of spot 1.5 q/min, so in 10 minutes you make 15 qso's, or 5
extra qso's in 10 minutes.

> The majority
> of the stations contacted during the periods of increased activity
> submitted logs as single op. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to

no, you don't have to be a rocket scientist, but someone who can compute a
few statistics helps...

lets see, a 'majority' implies 'more than half'.  So during that 10 minutes,
8 or more of the 15 qso's would have to be cheaters.  But you only made 5
extra qso's by the rates you quote so 3 of the others who would have called
you anyway are also now cheaters in your mind.

You also fail to take into account the increase in activity due to the
increase in activity.  This would further reduce the number of people who
called because they actually saw the dx spot.  This effect works like
this... assume you were cq'ing with some dead air in between qso's.  that
dead air gives time for someone doing s&p to tune past you and therefore not
call you.  When you make a qso, especially in ss, you are on the air for a
longer period so someone tuning past you has more of a chance to hear you.
also when you aren't transmitting someone else is, adding to the activity on
the frequency.  Because of this activity it is more likely that more s&p ops
tuning past you will stop and see if they need you and then be waiting to
call.  So just getting 2 or 3 extra qso's from a single spot may be enough
to add a couple more qso's just from the extra activity on your frequency.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net