Re: [CQ-Contest] An Innocent Question...

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] An Innocent Question...
From: "Dennis Ponsness" <wb0wao@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 00:32:09 -0400
As another poster stated, the main reason is that there is NO HF Grid based
award - other than the new CQ-DX Field Award (and that only gives credit for
the Field, not the Grids).  That is a major oversight IMHO as we all know
that one of the major reasons that the casual contesters are QRV is that
they use the 'tests to advaince their personal award goals -
DXCC/WAS/WAZ/WPX etc.

If one of the majors decided to offer a new award based on 4 character
Grids, they would need to either sponsor a new contest _or_ modify the
exchange in an existing contest to support that award.  For example, you
could replace the universal 59(9) signal report with the 4 character grid in
just about any contest - when was the last time you received/logged anything
_other_ than 59(9)!

I would be willing to bet that _if_ the ARRL decided to implement a grid
based HF award and then sponsor a new 'test to support such an award, it
would become a fairly popular contest.

73

Dennis - WB0WAO

EN84ij Iosco County, Michigan