Re: [CQ-Contest] Zone(s) of UA9S, UA9T

To: "Art RX9TX" <rx9tx@qrz.ru>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Zone(s) of UA9S, UA9T
From: "Stuart Santelmann KC1F" <kc1f@adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 17:22:08 -0000
Hello again my friend Art:

> This topic raises in russian contest reflectors every year, and we are
> really tired of it.

Yes, we are tired of it, too.  I don't understand why, when the rules (see
below) explicitly say that you are zone 16, why you do not give zone 16 as
your exchange.  Sounds pretty simple to me.

 > Thats  true,  we  are  located  both  in Asia and Europe, if to accept
> division  to  Europe and Asia by the Ural River. But to be technically
> correct,  according  to  the  rules, we are in zones 16. This concerns
> both UA9S/T and UA9W.
>
> ALL  of  us  in  UA9S/T  and UA9W give our zone as 17, just because, a
> quote,  of  "mental  discrepancy  between  Asiatic Entity and European
> zone. That is why in the CQ WW we persist our zone is 17, otherwise it
> takes  too  long  to  convince an operator at the other end that Asian
> station can belong to zone having "European" in its name."

So, following this logic, then many US ops should be able to send different
CQ zones than where they really are, simply because the receiving station
may be expecting to hear something different.  Most W7 stations are in zone
3, so Montana and Wyoming stations (both relatively rare) should be able to
send zone 3, even though they are really in zone 4.  Same with West Virginia
stations (also relatively rare), who are the only 8th call area stations in
zone 5, and Tennessee, Kentucky, and Alabama stations should be able to send
zone 5 if they want to, even though they are in zone 4.

You've already heard from K3EST that you count as Asia for CQWW, so you do
not lose points !  So what then is the problem ?

> JW> Zone assignments are CQ's baby, and they can do what they want by
> JW> decree! I'd recommend that they arbitrarily assign ALL UA9s,
> JW> including suffixes S, T and W, to Zone 17.
>
> Yes, yes, yes, that would solve it.

Indeed.

Finally, I'm curious about the mindset that says "if you don't like the
rules, create your own".  During my one trip to Russia, in St. Petersburg, I
got video of Russian drivers dealing with a modest traffic jam (maybe 10-15
cars waiting at a light at an intersection).  Many drivers tired of waiting,
and drove over the curb, the grass, and sidewalks to make their right
turn...

                    Regards
Stu        KC1F