Re: [CQ-Contest] An Observation

To: "Steve and Judy" <hodgson@cytanet.com.cy>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] An Observation
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 19:38:54 -0500
On Oct 31, 2005, at 2:36 AM, Steve and Judy wrote:

> Gentlemen, it came to my notice during the CQWW SSB Contest that it
> would be a whole lot easier and quicker if everyone used the
> correct phonetic alphabet and dropped the ''Guatamalas,Londons and
> Japans''

You have to use what works. I was at NQ4I's this weekend, but I've
empirically found that use of slightly non-standard phonetics works.

If I send Alpha Alpha Four Lima Romeo, there are lots of errors in my
callsign:

1) People hear "Kilo" instead of "Lima". Sometimes "Charlie". Lima
doesn't have enough talk power. "London" works better.

2) "Alpha Alpha" doesn't always make it. Many people insist I'm "Papa
Alpha" or "Delta Alpha". As if they've never heard of USA calls
starting with "AA". I've only held this call for 20 years - it's not
like it is something new. "America America" seems to make the point
in two ways.

3) "Romeo" doesn't always get through. People tend to pick up "Radio"
though.

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901